Chimney fire

December 18, 2013 

D ec. 5 — A wood stove was ejecting hot embers out of a chimney at a Fox Island home. The homeowner explained her use of compressed logs instead of natural firewood to fuel the wood stove prior to going to bed. She was awakened by her dog, and found the stove burning intensely, glowing red, and the temperature of the home rose to and estimated 80 degrees. The woman then went outside and saw red sparks coming from her chimney. Fire crews used a thermal imaging device to search for fire extension in void spaces. Nothing further was found. There was no smoke inside the structure, and the wood stove appeared to be functioning normally.

The Peninsula Gateway is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service